Tuesday, April 20, 2010

RIP, RIR

Yeah, one of my Rhode Island's died. Well she was so thoughtfully "put down" by means of John's 12 ga. shotgun!


If you see the picture she's just laying in the corner with her tail feathers down... I'm thinking she had a prolapsed egg because she was walking with her legs spread very wide and her tail feathers were almost dragging on the ground. She also had a distended stomach and it was very sore to the tough as she screetched when I picked her up to put her in her "box" before John got off work so she could be isolated from the other chickens.

That poor girl wasn't feeling good all morning and I went to check on the chickens at about 1 and she was sitting on the floor, wanting to eat and drink but when she started to eat or drink she just stopped to lay down on the ground and get stomped on by my other not so nice chickens. :) Well I was sad to see an established egg layer get put down but was happy she was out of her misery. John said while walking to her resting spot she was gasping for air, maybe she was on her very last leg of life. :(


This is life, and it includes death. So now I'm down to 13 laying chickens. Not too bad from what I started out with, 16 in June of 09.

No comments:

Post a Comment