Sunday, May 24, 2009

Are you going to throw that ply-wood away?

So it seems like everyone is working on something outside this spring. I keep driving to and from work and keeping my eyes peeled for some good ply-wood or anything I can use for my chicken coop. I've done a lot of research for this and seem to have full confidence in myself that this is going to work. We'll be eating a lot of chicken if it doesn't work out. :)


My friend Charity told me that chickens are like pigs, they'll eat anything and they are messy. She also told me that as long as they have water, so they don't get dehydrated they'll live thru the winter. I think that's two of the best pieces of advice I've gotten so far. She herself has a few chickens that she regularly gets eggs from and they live in her back yard coop. I haven't seen it but if they live in it all winter I imagine its a good one.


I've been procrastinating on asking a few community members about their wood piles for the past couple of weeks. So on Tuesday among doing other things on my only day off I plan to call around town to various house holds to ask what they are going to do with their wood. I think its silly to be asking around but if it is going to go to waste or in a fire and its worth taking to my parents house (where the coop is going to be located) then it is worth the embarrassment to ask around. I've seen some nice wood piles and if I had a crew of about 10 people and a nice big truck I could have gotten a bunch of wood, of course in the darkness of the night... only a couple hours a night now and disappearing fast.

I also applied for a grant at our local borough for small business'. I hope I get it. I should hear back from them this week. Cross your fingers for me as I could use that money for a feed I plan to stock up on and the chickens themselves. Back to reality. :)

1 comment:

  1. I have a small wood box out front...an old shipping crate just taking up space in my yard. If you want it it's yours - i live at 483-a eighth ave, next to the teacher housing and behind the maniilaq housing, it's the 4plex with the garages next to them. It's probably about 4x4 feet and maybe 3 or 4 feet high.

    ReplyDelete